Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Bellbird Park - part 1


Bellbird Park is about 1km west of Drouin railway station

 My Friends the Birds…


I found the place where Bellbirds call,

From early morn, ‘till sun’s last rays,

Fall on the earth, and another page,

Is turned forever in The Book of Days.



I found a spot where Robins play,

And gracious trees cast their shadows ‘round.

Where a Jackass swoops from the topmost bough,

To pluck a morsel from the ground.



And in this nook the dainty Wrens,

Those tiny sweet hearts of the dell,

Gave me their friendship, stole my heart,

And near we played ‘till twilight fell.



Then in the dark I stood alone,

In the cathedral of trees,

And earnestly I asked my God,

“Oh give me always friends like these”.
-        Will Rumble, Bushland Thoughts, circa 1950.

Bell Miner, Flame Robin and Kookaburra
Will Rumble sold the land now known as ‘Bellbird Park’, to Buln Buln Shire in 1964. It is believed the above poem and others similar by Mr Rumble, were inspired by his observations made in the area. Whether true or not, Bellbird Park today is certainly a prime location for bird watching and for just getting in touch with nature.

Fern gully - Bellbird Park
With the inspiration of Leo Boeyen, the Superintendent of Buln Buln Shire’s Parks and Gardens, and the perspiration of Jack Cuthbertson, a very generous Drouin contractor, the wetland and bushland area on the western side of Settlement Rd is to this day one of Drouin’s most prized and valuable environmental assets.

To be continued - shortly


No comments:

Post a Comment